The Stoke Charity Shop
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 9am to 3.30pm
Wednesday: 9am to 12.30pm
Volunteer Run Shop
The Stoke Charity Shop is run wholly by volunteers to raise funds for local sports, recreational or educational causes. We distribute half of our profits as grants and allocate half to Stoke-Sub-Hamdon Sports and Recreation Trust for the upkeep of the village recreation ground and to provide new facilities.
For information about how to apply for a grant for an organisation that has sport, recreation or education at its heart, please contact Jane Baker on 01935 825585 email@example.com
We have a great team of volunteers who help in the shop and work behind the scenes doing things such as PAT checks, sorting donations, helping at sales, shop and equipment maintenance, health and safety, and accounts. If you are over 18 and would like to volunteer, please pop into the shop for more information.
Thank you to everyone who generously donates to The Stoke Charity Shop. Because of Covid-19 restrictions we can no longer accept donations direct to our shop. Instead, we hold donation mornings at HCAP, North Street, Stoke-sub-Hamdon. See the village newsletter and the shop notice board for the next date.
All donations are bagged, sealed and labelled by us and quarantined for 72 hours before sorting. We can only accept goods that will fit into a maximum of two bin bags per household at each donation morning.
What we can accept
- Clean clothing, shoes and textiles
- Complete toys, games and puzzles
- Working electrical goods
- Household goods and bric-a-brac in a saleable condition
- DVDs, CDs and computer games
What we cannot accept
Everything that is donated has to be sold or disposed of by us. We have to pay to dispose of rags, soiled clothes and textiles, broken toys, household goods, bric-a-brac and things that aren’t safe for us to sell.
Please help us to avoid extra costs by not donating:
- Soiled / unusable clothing, shoes and textiles
- Broken or incomplete toys, household items and bric-a-brac
- Car seats, safety / sports helmets, sharp knives, skate boards and soft furnishings without a fire safety label
- Soft toys without a CE mark
- Underwear, socks or bathing suits, unless new with labels attached
- Personal items such as cosmetics and hair brushes unless new / sealed
- Magazines, and video and cassette tapes.
Visit South Somerset District Council’s website for details of local recycling and waste disposal sites and opening times.